U.S. Coast Guard and STCW Approved Class - one week
This course combines all of the renewable components of the STCW Code into one five day program. The course modules consist of Personal Survival, Basic Fire Fighting, First Aid & CPR, and Personal Safety & Social Responsibility. These components may be taken separately (Please contact AVTEC Admissions for costs of individual classes).
- First Aid & CPR (eight hours) This course covers immediate care to be given in life threatening situations involving sudden illness or injury at sea, including techniques for adult CPR. This component fulfills USCG requirements for first aid training per 46 CFR 10.205(h)(1)(ii) and the requirements of STCW Section A-VI, Table A-VI/1-3.
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibility (four hours) This course is designed to familiarize mariners with requirements for emergency procedures, pollution prevention, safe work practices, effective communications, and interpersonal relationships. This component fulfills the requirements of STCW Section A-VI/1, Tables A-VI/1-3, &1-4.
- Basic Fire Fighting (sixteen hours) This course trains mariners in preventing, fighting and extinguishing fires aboard vessels. This component fulfills the USCG requirements for Basic Fire Fighting endorsement of certain licenses and documents and the requirements of STCW Section A-VI/1, Table A-VI/1-2.
- Personal Survival Techniques (twelve hours) This course provides mariners with an overview of basic sea survival skills including the actual use of survival equipment in the water. This component fulfills the requirements of STCW Section A-VI/1, Table A-VI/1-1.
- There will be a two hour swimming pool exercise in the evening to satisfy the Personal Survival Techniques portion of this course. Swimwear or clean clothes are required for the pool exercise.
16 years old and older. Clean shaven for basic fire fighting and the ability to swim for Personal Survival Techniques