Access-Ability Services

      Access-Ability (ADA) Services


        AVTEC complies with Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. AVTEC makes every

        effort to offer reasonable accommodations for students with a documented disability to provide equal access to training programs and                               activities. You do not have to inform AVTEC that you have a disability; however, if you will be seeking accommodations please notify us

        before your arrival on campus.

The process for students with disabilities to request accommodations are outlined here:

  • Self-identify: The student must self-identify as having a disability and request accommodations from AVTEC.
  • Provide documentation: The student must provide documentation, such as a diagnosis from a qualified professional.
  • Once the paperwork is submitted, the student works with the AVTEC ADA Coordinator to determine appropriate accommodations based on the curriculum and potential restrictions in the student’s training area. Accommodations are determined on an individual basis, based on the student’s specific needs and the curriculum requirements.


AVTEC ADA Coordinator                                             State ADA Coordinator

Jamie Hall                                                                        Alaska Department of Administration       

P.O. Box 889                                                                   550 W 7th Avenue, Suite 1960

Seward, AK 99664                                                         Anchorage, AK 99501

Phone: (907) 224-6114                                                Phone (voice): (907) 375-7716                     

Fax: (907) 224-4400                                                      Phone (TTY): 711 for Alaska Relay   

                                                                                          Fax: (907) 375-7719


       Things to Know:

  • AVTEC provides the following services to all students: tutoring, study skills, and possibly a peer tutor. Instructors may provide untimed tests and a quiet place to take a test; however, additional time on assignments is not guaranteed. 
  • Your IEP or ILP from high school may help demonstrate accommodations that worked for you in the past. Post-secondary schools provide a different level of support by making reasonable accommodations in instructional programs which do not alter the essential content or requirements of a course or program.
  • Each AVTEC program has its own physical requirements for admission. Please review the admission requirements for the program of your interest to see if you meet the minimum requirements.
  • Know your rights and responsibilities. The U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR) website provides more information:

       Service Animals:

  • Students requesting accommodation for a service animal will be evaluated on a case by case basis. Additional documentation verifying training or other certification of the animal may be necessary.