Current Students FAQ

What is the AVTEC Student Shuttle schedule for transportation to/from training?

The current shuttle schedule can be found by clicking here.

What recreation activities are scheduled this week?

The recreation schedule and details about activities offered through AVTEC Recreation can be found by clicking here.

What is the cafeteria menu this week?

The weekly cafeteria menu can be found by clicking here.

Can I use the cafeteria if I live off-campus or in Family Student Housing?

Off-campus and family housing residents can purchase meal tickets at the Business Office located at 809 Second Ave, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Meal tickets are nonrefundable. Tickets are NOT AVAILABLE in the cafeteria or the Residence Life office.

Where can I park on campus?

Parking areas for student vehicles are provided at all AVTEC campuses (Residence Life and all training areas). Vehicle operators must obtain a free parking permit from the Residence Life office. All vehicle operators park their vehicles on AVTEC property at their own risk. Vehicles must be in working order, and students may not perform maintenance on vehicles while on AVTEC property. Only one vehicle per student is permitted on campus at any one time. All vehicles must be moved within 24 hours after measurable snowfall.

When are school breaks and holidays?

AVTEC students have very few holidays to break up the training schedule. Labor Day in September, Thanksgiving and the Friday after Thanksgiving, two weeks around Christmas and New Year's Day, two days in mid-March for Spring break, and Memorial Day in May are the only holidays where training is not in session. The calendar with school breaks and holidays can be found by clicking here.

When is new student orientation?

New student orientation is usually the first day of training and lasts several hours. The orientation schedule and more information about the next training start date can be found by clicking here.

When is graduation?

Graduation dates can be found by clicking here.

How do I contact my instructors and or AVTEC staff member?

The staff directory can be found by clicking here.

When can I move into my Residence Hall room?

New and returning students can move into their Residence Hall room on the Saturday morning before orientation. On rare occasions when training dates start on days other than Monday, new residents can move into their rooms 48 hours before the start of training.

Do I need to move out of my dorm room during winter and summer breaks?

Residents cannot stay in their rooms in the residence hall during the winter holiday break but can leave their belongings in their rooms if they are returning to training in January. All residents must vacate, clean, and check out of their rooms for the summer break using the same process and guidelines found in the section on moving out.

Summer storage of belongings is available for returning students and must be coordinated in advance with the Residence Life Department Head. Students who are not returning after the winter or summer break must notify the Residence Life staff in writing prior to their departure.

How do I receive mail?

Residences inside Seward city limits do not receive mail delivery. All student housing residents must have a post office box to receive mail. Students who would like to set up mail delivery via a post office box can do so at the US Post Office located at 507 Madison Avenue, open 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, and Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. A rental fee and a refundable key deposit may be required.

For students living in AVTEC Residence Halls or Family Student Housing Apartments, the documentation needed to prove residency to set up a post office box is two forms of ID and a proof of residency card, available from a Residence Life staff member. For students living off-campus in private housing, the documentation needed is a copy of the rental agreement or a utility bill with their address. Residence Hall residents must pay for their PO Box rental (Please check with USPS for current pricing). Family Student Housing residents will receive their PO Box at no charge.

Residents enrolled in short term training programs, or who will only receive mail occasionally, can receive mail at the following address:

General Delivery
Seward AK 99664

General Delivery mail can be picked up at the Post office during their business hours. The recipient of General Delivery mail must present photo ID.

Parcel Deliveries (UPS, FedEx, etc.) can be sent in the student’s name and addressed to the Residence Life office at 516 Third Ave, Seward, AK 99664. Students should inform the Residence Life Office when they are expecting a package, and they will be informed when a package arrives.

Postal mail sent to the AVTEC post office box may be returned to sender.

Where can I use my AVTEC ID?

Students enrolled at AVTEC receive a picture ID valid for the length of the training program. The student ID must be swiped in the cafeteria before every meal service and at the entrance of the Student Service Center when using those facilities. If an ID is lost or stolen, it will be re-issued at the expense of the student. Replacement IDs are $20. If there are changes to status in a program or a housing status change, a new ID will be issued free of charge.

Students can also use their AVTEC ID to get student discounts at businesses throughout Southcentral Alaska as well as free admission to the Alaska Sealife Center in Seward.