To be a student at AVTEC you should be:
- At least 18 years old (see Senior Year to Career for options for those under 18)
- An Alaskan resident (see Residency requirements and Out of State tuition schedule)
- A high school graduate with an earned high school diploma or GED.
- Able to meet or exceed the required score on the Test for Adult Basic Education (TABE) assessment.**
**The TABE assessment in the instrument used at AVTEC to determine individual readiness in math and reading for the greatest success in training; potential students have access to the TABE assessment when their application is submitted with the application fee. Potential students with an earned post-secondary degree may submit a diploma and final transcript in lieu of the TABE assessment. Contact the admissions office at email@example.com for more information and to schedule an assessment.
STEP ONE - Select your Program, complete the application
- Select your AVTEC Program of interest; for Maritime training, visit the Alaska Maritime Training Center website found here: Alaska Maritime Training Center
- Complete the online application or paper application.
STEP TWO - Pay Application fee
- Once the application is submitted, the application fee is due; it can be paid by calling 1(800) 478-5389 or (907) 224-3322 with credit card information or you can mail a check or money order to AVTEC, PO Box 889, Seward, AK 99664.
STEP THREE - Additional Application Documents
Completed applications are required to reserve your place in training; your application is not complete until these documents are received.
- A copy of the high school diploma and transcripts with graduation dates or a GED diploma and transcript. (High School seniors can submit a current transcript with graduation date).
- A copy of a valid government-issued photo ID (driver’s license, state ID, tribal card with current photo or passport).
- Score from the TABE assessment;
Send these documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or regular mail to AVTEC, PO Box 889, Seward, Alaska 99664.
STEP FOUR - Apply for Financial Aid
- Financing for training is available through Federal grants and loans, scholarships and other means.
- Start the process of securing financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available online FAFSA. (If you are planning to finance your training yourself, completion of the financial aid application is not necessary).
- Additional information about the different types of financial aid is available on the Financial Aid page OR students can contact the Financial Aid office at AVTEC at 1-907-224-6156
STEP FIVE - Enrollment and Registration
- Once you complete steps 1,2, & 3 and there is space available, you are enrolled in the program! A confirmation of enrollment will be sent indicating the next steps to registration.
- If the program is full you will be notified and placed on the wait list until space becomes available.
Enrolled status to Registered status
- To secure a place in the selected training program and move from enrolled to registered, you must pay half the tuition and fees no later than 30 days prior to the first day of training. Written proof of approved funding to cover entire program costs may be submitted in lieu of payment. Failure to make this payment (or provide written proof of approved funding) will result in removal from the program.
TRANSFER CREDITS / CREDIT FOR PRIOR WORK EXPERIENCE
Programs at AVTEC are offered on a clock hour basis, not on a credit system as found in traditional colleges. This alternative structure makes the transfer of credits challenging. Unless an AVTEC program publishes acceptance of general education courses or industry certification, transfer credit is not applicable. Applicants may request a review of prior credit.
Students with prior work experience, including military veterans, should confer with the instructor in their chosen program regarding an assessment of their skill. Because many of the programs offered at AVTEC use a competency-based design, students with prior work experience may be eligible to obtain an AVTEC program occupational skill-level sooner than the scheduled completion date or they may be able to advance in their skill-level or gain additional knowledge and hands-on proficiency sooner than the scheduled completion date of their chosen training program.