AVTEC complies with Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 504 and Title IX. AVTEC will attempt to make reasonable accommodations for students with a documented disability. It is the student’s responsibility to provide documentation of a disability. Students seeking accommodation should contact the AVTEC Americans with Disabilities Act Compliance Officer at 224-6170 to complete appropriate documentation for a needed accommodation.
AVTEC ADA Coordinator
P.O. Box 889
Seward, AK 99664
(907) 224-6170 FAX: (907) 224-4400
State ADA Coordinator
- Provide necessary paperwork documenting disability and past accommodations to AVTEC ADA Coordinator (Medical or psychological diagnosis)
- Know your rights and responsibilities, See: https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/transition.html for more information
- Work with the AVTEC ADA Coordinator to determine appropriate accommodations based on curriculum and training area restrictions.
Things to Know:
- AVTEC provides the following services to all students: tutoring, study skills, and possibly a peer tutor. AVTEC instructors may provide untimed tests on paper-based tests, and a quiet place to take tests may be arranged. However, additional time on assignments outside of class (homework) may not be allowed.
- You do not have to inform AVTEC that you have a disability. However, if you will be seeking accommodations, please notify us before your arrival on campus.
- Your IEP or ILP from high school may help demonstrate accommodations in the past that have worked for you. However, AVTEC is not required to follow this same plan.
- Each AVTEC program has its own physical requirements for admission. Please review the admission requirements for the program of your interest to see if you meet the minimum requirements.
- “A service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability.” https://adata.org/guide/service-animals-and-emotional-support-animals
- Students requesting a service animal will be evaluated on a case by case basis. Additional documentation verifying the training, certification or otherwise of the animal may be necessary. AVTEC may request the student education program staff on the animal training for emergency purposes.