AVTEC has multiple employment opportunities every year for students to earn while they learn. Student employment is a form of financial support while students pursue their education. Hiring student workers can benefit both the school and the students.
Hiring a student provides many advantages to AVTEC, including:
- A cost-effective workforce
- A willingness of student workers to perform a wide variety of tasks, which can free full-time staff for other duties
- Flexibility: student workers can vary the hours they work each week and work non-routine hours
- The ability of student employees to understand the needs and viewpoints of other students, helping student customers feel more comfortable, and letting full-time staff know about issues from the student point of view
- Bringing energy, enthusiasm, and the ability to offer new ideas and perspectives to the workplace
Campus employment offers exceptional advantages for students as well, such as:
- Income to support the cost of education
- Invaluable workplace skills, habits, and references
- The convenience of working without leaving campus
Students must be in good standing and remain so for employment to continue. Student workers are paid the Alaska Minimum Wage, established under state statute. Student-workers do not participate in retirement, accrue leave, receive holiday pay or insurance benefits. There is no probationary period.