U.S. Coast Guard and STCW Approved Class - one week
The course modules consist of Personal Survival, Basic Fire Fighting, First Aid & CPR, and Personal Safety & Social Responsibility. These components may be taken separately (Please contact AVTEC Admissions for costs of individual classes).
- First Aid & CPR (eight hours) This course covers immediate care to be given in life threatening situations involving sudden illness or injury at sea, including techniques for adult CPR. This component fulfills USCG requirements for first aid training per 46 CFR 10.205(h)(1)(ii) and the requirements of STCW Section A-VI, Table A-VI/1-3.
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibility (four hours) This course is designed to familiarize mariners with requirements for emergency procedures, pollution prevention, safe work practices, effective communications, and interpersonal relationships. Any applicant who has successfully completed your Personal Safety & Social Responsibilities(ALAVTC-359) course will satisfy the Personal Safety & Social Responsibilities competencyand training requirements of Section A-VI/1 and Table A-VI/1-4 of the STCW Code, asAmended 2010, and 46 CFR 11.302(a)(4) and 12.602(a)(4); AND have performed all assessment tasks as guided by the applicable sections within the Basic Training NVIC 08-14.
- Basic Fire Fighting (sixteen hours) This course trains mariners in preventing, fighting and extinguishing fires aboard vessels. This component fulfills the USCG requirements for Basic Fire Fighting endorsement of certain licenses and documents and the requirements of STCW Section A-VI/1, Table A-VI/1-2.
- This course meets the training and competency requirementsof STCW Code, as amended 2010, Section A-VI/1 and 46 CFR 11.302(a)(1). And 46 CFR 12.602(a)(1) AND have performed all practical demonstrations as guided by the applicablesection within Basic Training NVIC 08-14.
- There will be a two hour swimming pool exercise in the evening to satisfy the Personal Survival Techniques portion of this course. Swimwear or clean clothes are required for the pool exercise.
16 years old and older. Clean shaven for basic fire fighting and the ability to swim for Personal Survival Techniques