Terrestrial and Electronic Navigation (Operational Level) ALAVTC-986Apply Now
Official Title: Terrestrial and Electronic Navigation (Operational Level) ALAVTC-986
U.S. Coast Guard and STCW Approved Class
This training will give students the skills and knowledge necessary to support safe navigation at the operational level. It will satisfy the Terrestrial & Electronic Navigation Training Requirement in Table A-II/1 of the STCW Code, As Amended 2010, for certification as Officer in Charge of the Navigational Watch (OICNW) on vessels of 500 or more gross tonnage (ITC) AND, as Master or Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch on vessels of Less Than 500 GT Limited to Near Coastal Waters.
This Training will satisfy the following practical assessments:
- Practical assessments as documented in NVIC 12-14 (Ch-2): 1.2.A, 1.2.B, 1.2.C, 1.3.A, 1.3.B, 1.3.C, 1.4.A, 1.4.B. 1.4.C, 1.4D, 1.5.A, 1.6.A, 1.6.B, 1.6.C, 1.6.D, 1.7.A, 1.7.B (NOT IN 13-14), 1.7.C, 1.7.D, and 1.7.E, AND,
- Practical assessments as documented in NVIC 13-14 (Ch-1): 1.1.A, 1.2.A, 1.3.A, 1.4.A, 1.4.B, 1.4.C, 1.5.A, 1.6.A, 1.6.B, 1.6.C (NOT IN 12-14), 1.8.A, 1.8.B, 1.8.C, 1.8.E, 1.9.A, 1.9.B, and 1.9.C.
Applicants who have successfully completed this course need not present completed “Control Sheets” for these assessments in application for STCW certification.
NOTE: this course does not include assessment 1.7.F (Sun Azimuth) from NVIC 12-14. This assessment must be done aboard a ship.
In addition, this course will prepare students for the exam module in terrestrial navigation administered to applicants for Mate/Master 500/1600 GRT, and Third Mate AGT.
- Charts & Chart Work
- Chart Symbols
- Navigation Publications
- Compass Correction
- Plotting and Position Lines
- Bearing Problems
- Distance Off Problems
- Fuel Consumption Problems
- Apparent Slip
- Required RPM (Using Slip)
- Days Run (Using Slip)
- Required Speed (Using Slip)
- Compass Error by Azimuth
- Compass Error by Amplitude
- Compass Error and Leeway
- Deviation Table Construction
- Visual Ranges – Luminous and Geographic
- Sunrise & Sunset
- Radio Direction Finders (RDF)
- Tides and Tidal Currents
- Voyage Planning
- Rules of the Road Review
- General Subjects Review
Cost of Course
Room and Board: